Thursday, October 23, 2008

Two Posts In One Month! Wow!

Two posts in one month - what's the world coming to? Yes, I know it is rare that I post very often these days, but I have something to share today. Last night our family had the most amazing experience. What could it be you say on a Wednesday in the middle of October? Well, we arrived at church last night and saw a swarm of people wearing red t-shirts lining the walkway into the entrance of our church. Immediately the boys starting asking, "Who are all those people? Is there a party?" Harrison actually asked, "Is it my birthday party?" We had to say, "No Harrison, remember your birthday is in February. IT IS ONLY OCTOBER!" But, you can't blame a boy for wishing I guess.

Wishes. Hmmm. A while back I had a post about Nathan's night serving ice cream for the Make-A-Wish foundation. But, I didn't actually tell you his wish. He wished to go to Disney World at Christmas. Those of you who know Nathan know that he absolutely loves Christmas. As soon as we take down the pumpkins, he will start thinking about decorating his room and his own special Christmas tree. I can't think of a more fun time for him to go to Disney World. So after we saw this big group of people at church, guess who else we saw?

If you guessed Mickey Mouse, you're right! Mickey Mouse comes walking out into the parking lot to give Nathan a big hug. Yep, it seems that Nathan's wish is coming true thanks to the Make-A-Wish foundation and the girls of Chi Omega Sorority at Samford University. These amazing young women are sponsoring his trip. I have gotten to know several of the girls personally this year and I have been blessed to know them and work with them. They threw us a party, complete with surprises for all the boys, mickey mouse ears, dinner, treats, and a very talented man who made balloon creations, including the best goofy, mickey and pluto ever! We also had all of our family there with us as well of some of our very best friends. We were also surrounded by our wonderful church family who has supported us all along the way of our journey with Nathan. I can't imagine a more special place to have received this gift.

Needless to say, the boys are on cloud 9. Getting to bed last night was almost impossible. I did have to explain to Andrew that the trip is a few weeks away. I think he might have thought we were leaving last night! So now we will start counting down the days. Disney World here we come!

Did I tell you how incredibly humbled and blessed we feel? It really feels strange to be going on a trip that someone else has provided for us. But I am so happy and proud for Nathan. Looking at him now, you would never know what he has been through over the past year and a half. I know others have been through so much more. But he has endured 8 hospitalizations, one huge transplant surgery, 2 liver biopsies, many outpatient procedures, I can't even count the number of physician and clinic visits and blood draws. I hope much of the hard stuff is behind us. I feel almost certain it is. Nathan is now living a full and normal life. He is doing normal 7 year old things like playing soccer, attending 2nd grade and playing with his puppy, Sunny Dog. But I think of this trip as a reward for him for all that he has been through, helping him to make happy memories from an experience that hasn't been so much fun for a little boy. I know that he will have an amazing time. I think the boys are perfect ages (9, 7, 4) to remember this trip forever. They will also remember the incredible generosity of a wonderful group of women at Samford Unviersity. They will remember the love and support of their church family and their grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends. At times it is hard to fathom the generosity of others. During the most difficult life events the love, support and care of others is abundantly evident. So with grateful hearts we say, THANK YOU CHI OMEGA, THANK YOU MAKE-A-WISH, THANK YOU LIBERTY PARK BAPTIST CHURCH. We love you all and can't wait to share memories of our trip with you.

Blessings,
Lora

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so exciting to see Nathan so happy and having a grand time with Mickey and the girls of Chi Omega. Many of the girls told me just how special you are to them Lora.

I have many photos of the event on my flickr site. You can load any of them into blogger if you want. Here is the link:

http://tiny.cc/12kXl

Melinda

Anonymous said...

I was just checking in to read any new updates and WOW what an update! I cannot imagine what a great time it was to learn of Nathan's wish trip, and the trip itself should be spectacular. You will certainly have to have some way to count down the days to the trip for all of you!

Leah - Alexander's mom