Saturday, March 15, 2008

Well, I can't explain why exactly I have decided to start a blog.  I always thought that those who posted about their lives on the internet were a little odd.  But then our lives changed.  Last April we found out that our son Nathan has a genetic condition called Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency.  We found out in August that our son Harrison has the same genetic condition.  In the blink of an eye, I felt like life would never be the same.  All of a sudden people were speaking to me about the need for liver transplant.  I have a strong faith in God but all of a sudden I had so many questions.  Over the coming months I went from being angry and scared to a place where I now know without a doubt that this is the plan and journey that God has intended for our family.  That doesn't necessarily mean that I am always happy about it, but I do know that whatever comes our way, God will be with us.  I have placed a scripture passage at the bottom of the page that has come to mean a lot to me.  Jeremiah 29: 11-14 says, "For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to your heart.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with your whole heart.  I will be found by you," declares the Lord.  Long before our family ever faced this journey, God knew the plans.  That is comforting to me.  If he knows the plans, then I know that He will carry us through.  And as a family, we want to seek Him with our whole heart along the way.  

After the initial diagnosis I started searching the internet for some sort of information.  Of course I had all kinds of information from our doctors, but what I really wanted was to be able to see a family who had been through something similiar.  I was able to find several blogs from families facing similiar circumstances.  And now, here I am today.  I hope that maybe we can share our story of pediatric liver transplant so that others might see our hope.  And, maybe along the way, some one will decide to become an organ donor.

So, why the name Ordinary Miracles?  It is almost a misnomer because all miracles are extraordinary. I like the song Ordinary Miracle by Sarah McLachlan.  The lyrics speak about "ordinary miracles" such as snow and the growth of a seed, raindrops, and the sun shining. These things happen everyday and truly are miracles but we think of them as ordinary things.  Do we really stop to think about how extraordinary life is?  I don't know that I ever did much before, but I would like to think that now, after Nathan's transplant and the gift of life that he has recieved, that maybe I do.  There is nothing ordinary about the life that God has given us.  Each day is an extraordinary miracle. 

It's not that unusual when everything is beautiful
It's just another ordinary miracle today
The sky knows when it's time to snow
Don't need to teach a seed to grow
It's just another ordinary miracle today

Life is like a gift they say wrapped up for you everyday
Open up and find a way to give some of your own
Isn't it remarkable like everytime a raindrop falls
It's just another ordinary miracle today

Birds and winter have their fling but always make it home by spring
It's just another ordinary miracle today
When you wake up everyday please don't throw your dreams away
Hold them close to your heart because we are all a part of the ordinary miracle
Ordinary miracle, do you want to see a miracle

It seems so exceptional that things just work out after all
It's just another ordinary miracle today
The sun comes up and shines so bright and disappears again at night
It's just another ordinary miracle today

It's just another ordinary miracle today


I hope that each of you will thank God today for the ordinary miracles of life and be thankful for your children and the joy that they bring.

Lora

3 comments:

Melinda Shelton said...

How beautiful. I am thankful for the ordinary miracles of three amazing nephews. ~Melinda

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog (and talking to you the other day in the yard). I'm glad Nathan and your whole family are doing so well! I've been reading the "cf husband" blog, as well. Someone sent me that link a while back. Also, I checked the other blog you listed and saw they posted about Erin Nolen Photography. My brother & I grew up with Erin's husband (and his sister), and she's taken pics of our girls, too! She's an amazing photographer! I got chills seeing all that. It reminded me of how the world is not so big afterall!
Mandy Duncan

Connie said...

Lora, You always know my weak spots and how to make me cry. I have been blessed by you and your family and I am honored to have walked with you along this journey. It has changed my life and way of thinking. I have evaluated my relationship with Christ and through all of this remember that he is the only one that can give us strength. There is no doubt that your precious boys are "No Ordinary Miracles." God has a plan for each and every one. Thank you for reminding all of us to be thankful for our own "Ordinary Miracles." We Love You All! Connie