Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Organ Donation

I saw this video (just click on the link) posted on Liver Families today and thought that I would share it with you. It is about a young boy in Dallas who received a liver transplant from a young drowning victim. Maybe it is not the most upbeat of topics but it was certainly a reminder to me of Nathan's gift of life. At times it is hard to think of the loss of life on the other side of transplant, but it is a very real fact that another life was lost so that the life of my child (my Nathan) could be saved. I think that it takes amazing courage for donor families, who undoubtably are facing the hardest moments of their lives, to choose to give life to others. In many instances, maybe the family knew the wishes of the donor. But even so, I still imagine it is a hard decision. In Nathan's case, a 16 year old young boy (16 seems younger and younger to me as the boys get older) died in a car accident on Christmas Day. Can you imagine? I don't ever want to forget the sacrifice that they made for Nathan. I want to remember every day. Each day that he can get up and do normal things like play with his new puppy or go to the library, play with his brothers, eat ice cream or ride a bike is because of an organ donor. And of course because of our great God who is so faithful. If you have ever considered being an organ donor, tell those you love. You might just have the opportunity to give life.

1 comment:

Connie said...

What an inspiring video! He looks a lot like Nathan. I'll be praying continuously for Nathan. Let me know how he feels.
~Connie